Skip to main content

A Sensible Proposal to Reform Religion

Once, in a silly moment of self-indulgence, I had thought that getting up and walking after having had hip surgery was painful; almost more than I could do.  But then I remembered what it was like to have gout; thinking that I was walking on the rawest splinters of broken bones in my foot.  As you might surmise, I have not had much notable pain in my life.  In fact, the most painful moments in my life have not had to do with surgery or broken bones, at all.  They have been when someone has asked me to dance.

And truth be told, the pain of having to dance, when I could not, has been more painful for the other person in closest proximity when I have tried to dance.  But I have not felt overly sorry for them:  they had a choice.  I had none.  I cannot dance.

Why can I not dance?  I have taken dancing lessons.  It was like trying to teach a rock to float; like asking a frog to sing a serenade.  It was humiliating.

Why can I not dance?  I have the best of credentials for not being able to dance.  I was a Lutheran of Norwegian persuasion.  My father was born in what other Norwegians call the Dark Continent; at least on the edge of it:  that part of Norway where the sky is often overcast with clouds and cold rain, where laughter is most easily found in the failings of the neighbors, where God is severe, and the hymns are slow, and where dancing--real dancing--is a sin.  I did visit those relatives once at Christmas, and we did dance around the Christmas tree, but that "dancing" was more of a sideways shuffle while singing a slow hymn, and holding hands so as not to lose one's way while getting around to the next stanza.

That aversion to dancing, or that parody of dancing, only partially survived the emigration of those grim folk to America.  I do not recall ever dancing around the Christmas tree.  I do not recall any other kind of dancing, either.  Nor do I recall any fire-breathing sermons against dancing, because The Reverend Svinth did not breathe fire for any reason whatsoever.  But we knew!  We knew sin when we saw it!  We had heard why our Baptist neighbors were against having sex while standing up:  it might lead to dancing!  We were a generation of Norwegian Lutherans for whom dancing was about as far as you can go short of what is best not spoken of, at all.

One of the most delightful and dreadful evenings of my life was a Christmas party in a different part of Norway, over there where the sun shines on the Lake, and the snow builds up on trees and fences to make postcards.  I watched friends and their friends dancing as if it were ecstasy--not sin--and all I wished is that I had learned to sin early on.  No, I never believed that dancing was a sin--at least not perceptibly--but the deep darkness in the Scandinavian souls of my lame Lutheran community had denied me of what it is to laugh and dance.  I grew up scarcely able to walk, knowing that rhythm was a temptation and that some music lured one to . . . Oh, god!  I do not know!  Perhaps to having sex standing up.

That is why I do not go to church, why I do not bow my head to Ancestral Beliefs.  It has less to do with imagined kingdoms above the clouds and damnation below ground than it has to do with never having learned to dance.  Were I younger, were I still in possession of my natural-born hip, and not walking in uric acid crystals, were I coordinated enough to dance a lovely wicked line, I should commit myself to a campaign to cause such religions to commit amnesia, and convince them to teach dancing; to do nothing but teach dancing, to show every child and convert how to hold each other tenderly, and how to dance, standing up!   And they would be confirmed to the music of strings, and they would dance; not around a Christmas tree, but up the aisle and out the door and through life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w