Skip to main content

The Way We Were

"If Mitt Romney should do it, then I should do it, too!", I thought.

Mitt Romney had the opportunity to come clean about his past
as a Schoolyard Bully, about the time he and several of his friends
took down a smaller kid whom they seemed to think was gay,
and cut off his long hair.  Ol' Mitt did not seem to remember
what all his friends remembered, but to the extent that he might have
remembered, had he remembered, he did admit that he was
a fun-loving guy, full of pranks and other savage behavior.

We are sorting through our belongings, getting ready to move,
and in the course of unearthing old memories, we found a picture
of me as a clergyman in California.  Clues suggest that I was
about 32, absolutely clean-shaven, and wearing a cassock, surplice, and stole.

Most of the coffee gang laughed, quite as one might at the sight
of a dog playing poker, not so much because the dog was good at it,
but because the dog could do it, at all.  Joel sputtered, protested,
and prayed to God that he did not disgrace himself at the table.
It was a study in worldview shift:  he could not decide whether
he was seeing what he was seeing, not what I had to do with
the clean-shaven, god-fearing, serene figure in the photograph.

He did not say so, but it was plain that he was shaken.  As
Elizabeth Kubler Ross might have predicted, it started with denial.
It went far beyond what Kubler Ross had understood:
I still do not know whether Joel even likes me, anymore.

"Minniver Cheevy, child of scorn," I thought, "grew lean
while he assailed the seasons, but Joel is shifting worldviews."

I am glad I did it, glad I admitted right out loud that if I had done
anything that offended anybody, I was very sorry for them.
It was useful not to recall whether I had ever behaved in such a way
as might have done harm to basic science or elementary reason.

"Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty!", Joel sang, louder than he needed to.
I had not realized that he still retained such a reservoir of incantations
to help him through moments like that.  He either crossed himself,
of scratched himself.  He ducked and bobbed like an acolyte.

I am asking those of you who have time and nothing to do
to keep Joel in your thoughts and prayers.  He had a hard morning.

John, and Jeff and the rest of us at the table, have agreed
that, if he is not better in a couple of days, we will take him down
and cut his cap off.  Nothing serious.  Just a prank.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w