Skip to main content

Why I Worry about What I Cook

So here I am, a couple of years into my eighties, making matzo ball soup, and fearing for my access to ingredients!

(I shall not enter into the contest for a preferred spelling for matzo, or matzoh, or matzah, etc., and have chosen to use the spelling on the container of Matzo Meal provided by Manischewitz, except that I cannot spell "Manischewitz", either.)

In the first place, I am not Jewish, so I have no profoundly religious reasons for making matzo ball soup in the first place.  And I am confident that somewhere in the Torah (or is that Tora?) it surely states that no one of derivative, second-hand, runty Norwegian immigrant persuasion shall be permitted to desecrate the most sacred place in the lives of an ancient Mesopotamian, Palestinian, Ukranian, or Miami Beach religious persons by messing with the matters of their hearts.

I understand that my pots are polluted, and that my taste buds have not been reared under the watchful eyes of a genuine guilt-producing, tastefully-trained mother with a wooden spoon and an apron.  My mother had both a wooden spoon and an apron, but she was not Jewish.  She would surely have fried the matzo balls until they properly crisped up:  I am not doing it that way.  I do, after all, subscribe to Fine Cooking.

What really worries me, and my reason for locking the door while I torture the broth from the chicken wings and onions and carrots, is that the full weight of the government of the State of Arizona, focussed in Phoenix--a State of Affairs abhorrent to a skinny majority of the County of Pima and the City of Tucson--has passed a bill that proposes to make it meet, right, salutary, and legal for any person or business to refuse to do business with any gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, trans-sexual, hyper-super-sexual person if that gay-etc., person offends the religion of the person or corporation that sells matzo meal, or wedding cakes, or anything else that perverts want to buy.  The wording, of course, is expressed somewhat more delicately that I am capable of reciting, but the intent is clear:  if what you are offends the religion of the grocer, she does not have to sell you the matzo meal.  Lesbians may not be able to buy cupcakes from the Died-in-the-Wool, Bible-Believing, Turtle-Talking, Men-are-Natural-Heads-of-Households-and-Bedposts bakery owners.  I have not had time to consider what latex products Catholic drug store owners might not be willing to sell to embarrassed young men, or whether the Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit desk clerk at the motel might think or do about renting rooms.  It is the possibility of being denied access to matzo meal that terrifies me.  It is bacon!  It is wondering whether the clerk is a Jehovah's Witness who will not sell me coffee.  It is . . . , it is a legislature that has proposed to let religious bigots ruin my soup!

The Governor has not yet signed the bill, and we all know that Jan Brewer is a tower of principle and courage, even if she is a public, airport-runway scold of Presidents and Perceived Liberals.  So there is probably no chance that religious fundamentalists and bigots will be able to refuse us goods and services and matzo meal, is there?  But I worry.  Will our Governor keep her courage?

I will say it now, and I will say it loudly and clearly!  I do not want Moses or Aaron, or Pope Pius the IIIrd or XVth, or even a reasonably average Presbyterian or Baptist to write laws that will deny me access to matzo meal!  Here I stand:  I can do no other!

And that applies to health care and condoms, too!


Isn't there something rational that legislatures can do?  Do we have to have ignoramuses represent us?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w