Skip to main content

Harold, at 99

[Harold celebrated his 99th birthday.  Harold is my mother's brother; thus my uncle.  His daughters, Judith and Vicki, invited all the Hansen and Jacobsons they could think of--after all, Ruth is 95!--so a veritable herd of friends and relatives to Olympia, Washington, to wish them well.  

In the days prior to flying to Puget Sound, I found myself composing a toast to Harold, and since the gathering in Olympia was not the kind that raises a glass and toasts, I shall raise it here:]


*    *    *

Wallace Stevens has a poem titled, “A Postcard from the Volcano”  
It begins like this:

Children picking up our bones 
Will never know that these were once 
As quick as foxes on the hill; 

And that in autumn, when the grapes 
Made sharp air sharper by their smell 
These had a being, breathing frost; 

And least will guess that with our bones 
We left much more, left what still is 
The look of things, left what we felt 

At what we saw. 

Some of you, at least, know that I am Conrad:  one of Jennie’s kids.  
Jennie was one of Harold’s sisters:  Magna, Aleda, and Jennie. 
And while I am not, and do not expect ever to be, ninety-nine,  
and counting still, I am old enough to understand 
something of what Wallace Stevens was talking about when he wrote,

Children picking up our bones 
Will never know that these were once 
As quick as foxes on the hill, 

but it is the line about leaving what still is the look of things,
leaving what we felt, at what we saw, that I am thinking of.

Not ninety-nine years ago, but surely seventy-five years ago,
and more, I was one of the grandchildren, one of the nephews, 
that ran loose on Grandpa and Grandma Jacobson’s farm,
there where Harold and Oscar and Hans—our uncles—like our mother 
and our aunts, too, had grown up.  

When I think about what was the look of things, 
there where Harold grew up, where many of us 
came along like the next crop, 
something like children picking up the bones
of the generations before us, 
I think of three places especially,
and I want to tell you a little of what I felt at what I saw. 

I am thinking about the horse stables 
in the southeast corner of the barn that is still there,
and of the woodshed, still more south,
and of the blacksmith shop, up toward the bull pen.

It is impossible for me to think of those stables,
with the harnesses along the wall, 
without also thinking of the shoemaker’s bench
upstairs in the house itself.  
One of my earliest memories, is of Big Grandpa
sewing layers of leather together to make a new tug
for one of those harnesses.  I smell the leather still.

I always associate Hans with those stables:
the youngest son, the biggest son, with a body 
more like Olina, his mother, than Jonas, his father.
Hans and those knot-headed horses were a match.
They came always, finally, to a kind of negotiated stand-off.  

I associate Oscar more with the woodshed, 
not because it was Oscar’s place, as Hans and horses belonged together, 
because the woodshed was Grandpa Jacobson’s place.
It wasn’t just a shed for wood:  It was a shed for wood
carefully split, and stacked more carefully still, 
so that it could dry, and when dry, to be split again
and stacked on the wheelbarrow to be trundled to porch side,
from where it would be carried in to the woodbox.

There was something precise in that woodshed:
it had a kind of unspecified order.
It was not wood heaved in on its way to the stove.
It had secrets.  Oscar was like that, too.
Oscar had his own order for things.  
I never knew quite what they were.  
They were not dark, nor secret:
they were stacked inside him with an order
and in the way he wanted.

I associate Harold with the blacksmith shop.
I do not actually recall ever having seen Harold work in that shop,
but my feelings, from when I watched Grandpa Jacobson
there at the forge, and at the anvil, at the drill press on the wall behind,
have always been that Harold, and his Dad—
Harold, who even looks like his Dad—
had something in common there.  

Harold, like his Dad, is a man who makes things work.  
I suspect Harold knows a lot more about electric and acetylene welders
that he does about the tools Grandpa had,
but both of them made things work.
They bent steel and shaped wood, and made them work.
I recall how Harold made a house from concrete blocks..
Harold made iron and steel work for him.
He and Ruth went to Africa in the Peace Corp, and made things work,
and came back to Washington and Oregon, to do it again.

Harold . . . 
Harold Jennings Jacobson. . .
we admire you,
and we love you.


Happy birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w