Skip to main content

Why All the Shouting?

Once upon an actual time,
while living in Berkeley, California--
a student at a theological seminary--
I enrolled in a short course at U.C. Berkeley
in beginners' Swedish.  I do not know why.
All of my foreskins (as Stan says it)
were from Norway.  It might have been
because Norwegian was not offered.

The instructor laughed pleasantly and said
that my attempts to pronounce Swedish
sounded Norwegian.  I thought that odd,
because I could not speak Norwegian.
But then I realized that my father was born
in Norway, and my mother's parents
and grandparents were from Norway, too.
My great-grandmother never spoke English,
and nearly everyone else did so with an accent.
"Ja," my Dad might have said, but probably didn't,
"it kind of sticks vitt you."  It stuck vitt me.

I did learn Norwegian, later, in the college
where I taught, first from Harald Jensen,
a Norwegian born instructor, and later
from Audun Jensen, unrelated to Harald,
but also a Norwegian native.  Still later,
I spent a year at the University in Oslo,
and later still, taught for a year at
Nansen College in Lillehammer.

Returning from Norway, one time,
I spoke Norwegian with my father for the first time.
He laughed, not altogether pleasantly--he was
not altogether pleasant--and said that
my Norwegian was not real Norwegian:
it was bookish, not as he spoke it, growing up
on an island outside of Bergen.  Uncle Hans agreed.
He was not altogether pleasant about it, either.
Hans, born in America, spoke a residue of
Norwegian carried to America by my mother's family,
from Trøndelag, farther north in Norway.

I think about such trivial and ordinary things--
millions of families in America can tell such stories,
not just about Norway and Sweden, but Mexico,
and England, and Germany and Scotland and Japan
and Africa, and almost everywhere in the world.

That is who we are.
We are no one else.
It is a fact
that sticks vitt you.

Of course, every once in a while,
usually when things really get sticky,
when former slaves get uppity,
or Germans go off their hinges
and decide it is the fault of Jews,
or when Japan bombs Pearl Harbor,
of when we notice that some of our
neighbors do not look like us,
or pronounce English the same vay vi due,
people get really unpleasant.  Sometimes . . .
sometimes they get their guns,
or cans of gasoline, or quotes from god.

That is why the Kønigs changed their name to King.
That is why we built concentration camps
on the West Coast, for Japanese Americans.
That is why Donald Trump wants to build a wall.
That is why two guys from India, who live and work
in Kansas, were shot while having a drink together.

Donald Trump doesn't want to build a wall
between us and Mexico to preserve the English language:
he is the most inarticulate President I can recall.
It isn't because immigrants are a danger:  they aren't.
We have met that enemy, and as Al Capp said,
"they are us".  It is not because we do not benefit
from immigration:  we do.  We need immigrants.
We are immigrants.  Even your Comanche
neighbors came here from Asia, longer ago than we know.

When we get afraid,
we do stupid things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w