Skip to main content

Saetre in the Sonora

In 1975, doing what I had to do to supplement my modest salary as a small college teacher, I often found jobs remodeling someone's kitchen, or garage, or entryway; sometimes just a window or a piece of furniture.

It was the grandest sort of relief to be doing something with my hands, where I could see results, after talking to students for months about ideas which sometimes seemed to evaporate between saying them and listening to them.

I had already coaxed a fine, old Queen Anne house into something delightful, for ourselves and our friends.

Dean called one spring day and asked if I would like to rebuild an original Iowa log house for him, just outside of town.  I said I didn't know anything about log houses, but he persisted, and I agreed.

In the course of doing that, the owner of the land who had sold Dean his plot of land and settler's cabin, suggested that I should have my own cabin, and that if I wished,  he would sell me an acre of land.  That is how it started.

I knew the place, adjacent to Dean's cabin, where I often went for a lunch break, on a steep hillside, where evidence remained that the children from the house Dean was beginning to resurrect had come to play, and lost their toys.

I bought the land, found another original settler cabin about twenty miles away, dismantled it, and moved it to Saetre.  In Iowa, Norwegian "Saetre"--a high mountain meadow where cattle went in Summer to forage and to begin the cheese production, was spelled, "Sattre".  "Sat-tree" in English.  "Sat-treh" in Norwegian.

That is where Mari and I were married, in 1982, in a not-quite-finished log house, with jazz musicians, and salmon sent from the Pacific Northwest by my brother, with a horse-drawn wagon and sunflowers and wedding dress modeled on Hungarian traditional dress but with Hmong artistry.  You need not ask:  it is a large, beautiful world.

"A party at Saetre!", we often said.  Our hearts are there, still.  Our friends came there.  We had Wisconsin corn boils, and potluck parties, and wine and wonderful times.

The west deck was large, a full story above ground level.  A great Shagbark Hickory stood resolute where it had first come to birth, long before any of us had come to the idea, up through the deck, with great, spreading branches it occasionally decided it could do without because it had a better idea.  But I had an idea, too.  I wanted to build some bird feeders to hang from those branches just outside the deck railing, where I could think about something more enjoyable than trying to explain why I did not believe in angels or devils or eternal damnation of any kind.

"A platform!", I thought, not a feeder tube, "where I could see birds come and go as they pleased.  I went to Lyle Cary, the best machine shop owner in a long ways.  He listened, and bent steel to obey art.  For a cover, we overturned steel sliding sleds for kids, intended for snow and hill rides.  I bent oak bands around a circular feed base.  Beneath the base, I hung a double-hung window counter-weight, to frustrate the harmonies of the wind trying to whip the beast into a wrecking ball.

God, what a joy!  There came, not only birds, but on rare evenings, or rare early mornings, a family of flying squirrels, as beautiful as night and light together, to ignore us as they fed.

This summer, traveling to celebrate with Spencer, I saw one of those two feeders in the driveway of the home that had once been our home, two generations before Spencer and Sophie grew up there, and I asked Marty if I could have it again.  And so it was.

It is in our yard now, in Tucson, a Saetre symbol in the Sonoran Desert, hanging now, not from a Shagbark Hickory, but a Palo Verde tree, ready to knit our lives together again.

And I am trying not to cry.










[My other blog is at:  www. TucsonOldTimers.blogspot.com }

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w