Skip to main content

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the fudge. . . .

Birthers. Obama born in Kenya. A plot to kill old people.
That private enterprise is always more efficient that government.
That we have the best health care system in the world.
Insurance companies are interested in our health more
than they are interested in profits. The more guns we carry,
the safer we are, especially if the President is Black.

Lies. Just lies.

We all know people who seem unable not to lie.
If they tell us about the fish they almost caught,
it becomes larger than the whale that chewed Jonah.
They cannot say, "I forgot" or "I overslept" or
"I really don't want to!" They have to lie.

They lie about everything, even little unimportant things.
Lying becomes a way of life. If they are our friends,
and if we like them, anyway, we just concede they are lying,
and pretend we do not know that they have corrupted themselves.

It is especially painful when we hear our elected representatives
lie about things. We watch them try not to say that Barack Obama
was born in Hawaii, or that they do not want a change in the health care
system, that they will do almost anything to preserve their sources
of income, or that they are pandering to their brainless constituents.

It is so painful, so shameful, to listen to the lies, and to know
that the lying really works, keeps them in office, keeps the money
coming, and allows them to orchestrate their constituency.

Take the simplest example: that Barack Obama was not born in Hawaii.
I will not even insult thinking people with the evidence, once again.
But the fact is, if you say it, over and over, people will believe the lie.
Just say it, over and over! Watch the poll numbers climb!

The worst part of habitual lying is that the liars come to believe them.
Some people cannot even hear themselves shade every story,
every retelling of an event, every reason for doing anything,
without lying. The rest of us hear it. We pretend we don't.

Perfect truth-telling is not possible, and not even desirable.
Telling the truth all of the time can be terribly cruel: "Yes, you are ugly!"
Sometimes we fudge the truth to protect people from unnecessary harm.
But when we fudge the truth to protect ourselves from the truth,
then we become, not kind fudgers, but deliberate liars.
Habitual liars. Hopeless liars. Despicable liars. Liars.

We all lie. The differences between some of us is that some of us
try to lie as little as possible, to tell the truth as much as possible,
to take the chance that telling the truth will be best in the long run,
and that some of us are quick to lie, find it easy to lie, because
telling the truth will make us look not quite as nice as we wish we were.

Too many politicians pander. Lie. It is easier then explaining the truth.
After a while, lying is simply what they find easy to do.
They almost forget what the honest answers are; that they are painful.

I have come to value the people who try to tell the truth, kindly,
as much as possible, especially when it reveals their own faults.
I trust them, because I know they are thinking about others,
and not just themselves. I have come to sadness, listening to people
who turn easily to trivial lies. I do not trust them, because I know
that are thinking mostly about themselves, and not about others.

If you are kind, you will not ask me to tell you which I am,
because I am not sure which of the two I am. But you already know.
And I will thank you not to tell me the whole truth, either.
but as much of it as you think I can take, and just a bit more.

With a little grief. A little kindness.
Especially if it hurts you to have to say it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w