Skip to main content

The Autumn of Our Leaves

From Decorah, Iowa newspapers
For a long time, I was an Iowan.  Not a native Iowan.  An accidental tourist, as Anne Tyler might have said, and did.  When I took the job in Iowa, friends asked, first, where Iowa was, and next, where Decorah was in Iowa. I told them that if you drew a triangle from Burr Oak, down to Little Turkey, and over to Ludlow, Decorah would be right in the middle.  

Even after 29 years--a longer time than I had ever lived anywhere--I never felt like an Iowan.  We still have a log house in Iowa, where Mari and I were married, and where many of our warmest memories are rooted, but I was always accidentally in Iowa.  

Something said at coffee this morning caused me to think about Iowa; about the nature of the state.  Later in the day, I read an article sent to me by Marius, describing the new President of Grinnell College in (of all places!) Grinnell, Iowa.  Raynard Kington is Black.  He is gay, too.  And married to Peter Daniolos.  They have two adopted children:  Emerson and Basil (ba-SEEL).  Before coming to Grinnell, Kington was the Director of the National Institutes of Health for ten years.  

The Iowa Supreme Court recognized the legality of gay marriages.  Iowa is like that.  At the same time, some of the most right-wing politicians in the country are from Iowa.  Some of the most liberal and progressive politicians are from Iowa, too.  Iowa is Meredith Willson's Music Man state:

And we're so by God stubborn
We can stand touchin' noses
For a week at a time
And never see eye-to-eye.
But we'll give you our shirt
And a back to go with it 
If your crops should happen to die.

Iowa is German farmer stubborn.  It is Lutheran certain, and Roman Catholic authoritarian, and Methodist helpful.  It is right-wing, and left-wing, and no wings at all:  Iowa doesn't fly, anyway.  It walks, and drives a pickup.  Iowa is somewhere between being small-town smug and gossipy-mean, and being prairie-loam deep with kindness.  

Grinnell College is by no means typical of Iowa.  It is one of the finest liberal arts colleges in the nation.  It is both an exception to the town it takes its name from, and perfectly suited to it, because it works, and you cannot quite explain why.  You know you should expect Grinnell College in Iowa to choose a black, gay president, and you cannot explain that, either.  You expect the President to have an adopted son whose name is pronounced as Greeks say it.  

Mari understands that.  She is a native Iowan.  Sometimes I don't understand her, either, but there she is, like the state, a surprise.  A down-to-earth, amazing surprise, from a state with more private colleges than any state west of the Mississippi.  

It is to wonder!
.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w