Skip to main content

Crawdads in White Sauce

"Somewhere in the world," the speaker on population growth said, "a woman is giving birth every second."


"We must find that woman," someone shouted, "and stop her!"


Somewhere else in the world, someone is training restaurant servers to tell us what they like to eat.  "Oh, that is my favorite sandwich!", one enthused.  "I had three of them for lunch!"  Or, "I just love that soup!" Another:  "Our special today is the Spicy Southwestern Blackened Chicken Salad with Avacados and Peppers!  It really isn't too spicy, at all!"


I don't care what any passing waiter or waitress likes to eat.  I don't care whether Lori loves alligator bacon, or Curtis has the Chef's Special Broiled Right Rubber Boot for lunch almost every day.  


I might care what the specialty of the restaurant is, or whether Cities Magazine has given it an award.  More often, I want to know whether the restaurant has any hot sauces other than Tabasco, or whether there are any anchovies in the kitchen.  


We have to find whoever is training restaurant employees to tell us what they like; they now having turned their backs on Big Macs and Triple-Cheese Burgers.  Maybe they could tell us the salads are especially good, or that there is a new menu item; maybe learn that "turmeric" is not pronounced, "toomerick", and that "bruschetta" is pronounced, "broo-skett-a".  


There is a culinary school here, in our fair and balanced town.  Carloads of uniformed, budding cooks eat at Taco Bell, where they think outside the bun.  I suppose that, someday, they will tell their wait-staff to push one of the four creamy soups on the menu by telling us it is their favorite, or allow the French Onion, as an alternative for those who won't learn.  


It is entirely arrogant of me--long past "maturity"--to complain about nineteen- or twenty-year-olds telling me what they like to eat.  What they like is as legitimate as what my generation--the gray moss and fungi generation--likes to eat.  The difference is that I have learned to love anchovies, and Southwestern spices and sauces, and even here in the Upper Midwest, I recall the delight, whether or not the server likes it.  


I grew up as a Scandinavian-American.  I know, in my heart, that the three basic spices are sugar and salt and butter.  I know, as surely as I know that God loves me (probably), that all sauces are white.  But if I were a waiter--not then, but now--I should not be allowed to urge people to eat what I liked, but what the restaurant does best.    


I appreciate almost all of the servers I meet in restaurants.  They work incredibly hard, earn barely tolerable wages, are almost universally attentive and helpful, go at full speed, and must finish their shifts completely exhausted.  But I don't care what they eat, unless they eat too much of it, in which case I don't want to know what it is.  


They might say that they are best-known for steaks, or fish, or pasta, or sandwiches, or perhaps that they have a new item on the menu.  And, especially, don't tell me that the Spicy Cajun Crayfish isn't too spicy!


No, maybe they should!  It isn't Cajun, at all, is it?  I love bland crawdads!  They are my favorite!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w