Skip to main content

Time Warp Politics, and Sanity

We live jun a time warp!  Sometimes it looks just like the 21st century and, at other times, it is the tenth century B.C.!


One of our presidential candidates belongs to a religion that says, right out loud, although they would prefer that not too many people are listening, that an angel came down to the ground in Palmyra, New York, and dictated holy books in Reformed Egyptian.  Another skips up and down the eastern half of the country explaining that God sent an earthquake to Virginia as a message about sin and degradation and our budget deficit.  The President regularly asks, publicly, for God to bless America, presumably a little more than he blesses Albania and Iran, and certainly more than France.  Candidates, by the bushel, scold anyone who does not think that this is, first and foremost, a Christian nation, and not a secular nor perhaps vaguely deistic one, as our Founding Fathers thought.  


It is like having to speak Latin in Rome, and English during the Mass.  It is like boarding an airplane that intends to fly up through heaven, brushing angels aside, and come down in Cathay, on the way to Mandalay where the flying Asian carp play.


I don't want to know what Moses would do!  I don't care what Muhammed did!  Jesus did not have an opinion about abortion or sushi or derivatives.  


I do care that Michele Bachmann went to law school because Marcus said she should, and that she should because Marcus is the head of the household, just as St. Paul said, although I do not think the blessed saint was married.  Michele is, and I don't want her to defer to Marcus for decisions about tax law and Palestine.  


I do not care whether Mitt Romney wears special, religious underwear, but I do not want anyone who is president to believe that angels have such a sense of humor that they would land in Palmyra and speak Reformed Egyptian.  


I don't want anyone who is president to consult the Book of Leviticus, or the Book of Revelations, about foreign or domestic policy, or about DNA research.  I don't want a Republican presidential candidate poll about whether the whole universe has evolved, or whether pumping all this carbon dioxide into the atmosphere might have consequences.  And especially not if they think the earth is 6,000 years old, or that Noah saved two mosquitoes for the divine benefit of us all.  


I want the moderator of every presidential debate to ask for a vote about which century the candidates think we are living in.  I want then to raise their hands, high!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w