Skip to main content

How We Used to Misspoke

My Lord, we were crude where I grew up!  For example, we did not say things like:  "There are liars, damned liars, and statistics".  We just said someone was a damned liar, or when we wanted to speak poetically or politely-- that he or she was lying through his teeth.  

People like Paul Ryan may or may not have been lying himself when he said, recently, that our military leaders did not support President Obama's Pentagon budget.  "We don't think the generals are giving us their true advice," Ryan had said. "We don't think the generals believe their budget is really the right budget."


When Candy Crowley suggested that the generals were a little bit offended at the suggestion that they were lying, Paul Ryan said he had "misspoke".    He did not suggest that the generals had been misspokeing.  He, Ryan, had misspoke.  


Then Ryan went on explain that what was wrong was that the President had come up with a budget number, and that the generals had tried to stay within that number.  Instead, Ryan said, it should have been the other way around:  The generals should have said, first, what they wanted, and then the President should have fit that into his budget. 


Then, I suppose, everybody else should have said what they wanted, and the President should have adjusted his budget to accommodate everybody with a wish list.  That would put to rest the notion that government should be lean and mean and cost-effective!  What nonsense!

Paul Ryan is not misspeaking.  He is, if not a liar or a damned liar, just being a damned politician who does not really believe what he is saying about fiscal responsibility or, as our Constitution makes clear, that the President is Commander in Chief of our military.  In this country, we want civilian control over our military.  And we want fiscal restraint.   And we are getting damnably tired of war, too!

I have probably not said this right.  I meant to say that Paul Ryan was just playing political games, and I seem to have suggested, instead, that he just didn't get the words right; that he misspoke.  And if I have offended anyone, I am truly sorry that they are offensive.


I do not know why, but it occurs to me, just now, that we used to use the term, "shyster", too.  In the 1981 movie S.O.B. the character Polly Reed calls Dr. Irving Finegarten a shyster. To which Irving replies: "I could sue you for calling me that. A shyster is a disreputable lawyer. I'm a quack."  (Wikipedia)


I am not calling Paul Ryan a shyster.  The term just occurred to me.   You know, thinking about how we used to misspoke.  

Comments

  1. OK. Then I will. Paul Ryan is a shyster. Thanks for coming up with such a good word for him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w