Skip to main content

The Ragged Shreds of Slavery


Once upon a curious time ago, Fred Nyline asked me to read the Lincoln lines in Aaron Copland’s “Lincoln Portrait”.   I have never been so overwhelmed in my life.  

Fred gave me a kind of abbreviated version of the score.  You can tell from my ignorance of what it is called that I was hopelessly ignorant of what was going on.   My understanding of music is limited to, “One, Two, Three, Four, Who do you appreciate?”, or something like that, by a factor of two.  

If you saw the recent movie, “Lincoln”, you will understand the quiet and scornful abuse I took when people commented on my tenor voice, certain in their conviction that mountains shook when Abraham Lincoln spoke, and the waters roiled.  I was just trying to count, “One, Two, Three, Four, now!”

It was on December 1, 1862 that Lincoln addressed Congress.  The issue was what should happen to former slaves.  The nation, Lincoln asserted, had been spellbound, captivated, itself enslaved by the fact of slavery.  

Lincoln said:  “The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present.  The occasion is piled hight with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion.  As our case is new, so must we think anew and act anew.  We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country. . . .”

“Fellow-citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this Congress and this administration, will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance, or insignificance, can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation.”

We were spellbound by slavery, and we had to disenthrall ourselves.  We are enthralled, still, by the ragged shreds of slavery.  

The difficulty I had, trying to read that abbreviated conductor’s score, and trying not to embarrass myself under the burden of words that shook mountains, and music that soared like freedom itself, were nothing compared to the heart-and-head-wrenching task of turning away from the captivation, the slavery, of an idea; an awful idea.  

We still hear the miserable music of racial arrogance:  that Barack Obama is “foreign”, that too many “poor people” are voting, that “takers” have their hands in the pockets of good, honest, rich people. 

The dogmas of the quiet past still are inadequate to the stormy present.  Too many young men died in that Civil War to hold to that old enthrallment.  Too many citizens marched across the bridge in Selma.  To many children died in Sandy Hook school to permit us to chant old magic slogans.  

We must rise with the occasion.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w