Skip to main content

Spit and Blood and Bones

universityofcalifornia.edu

Let us suppose, just to test a hypothesis,
that a community of people, farmers mostly,
and the people around them who made their living
buying and selling farm goods, and providing coffee shops,
decided that the farm labor shortage could be solved
by buying slaves from Africa, or somewhere.
The slaves might be expensive, but the labor would be cheap.

That's what they did, in this hypothetical example.

Getting slaves with dark skins was helpful.
It made the slaves easy to identify.
It made it easy to think that people with dark skin
were somehow not . . . not quite as "advanced" as others;
not quite as human, you could say.

Mari and I have been having fun recently
deciding to order gene tests from one of the companies
that promise to show our genetic heritage.
We have decided that we will order from different firms
to see what kind of information can be derived
from what we assume are similar ethnic heritages.

Personally, I have been hoping to discover
that I am part Neanderthal or Denisovan.
Mostly, I want to tell all my siblings that I have found
the secret to what makes us such a great family.

You know, we recent Europeans are superior
to our genetic ancestors; much smarter, better looking,
and that we have invented vastly superior gods,
just like us.

I think I should like to have scientific evidence
that I am partly what we have learned to scorn:
a Neanderthal.

We had a Civil War that threatened to split this country
into slave-owning and slave-ending, and just barely
held the Union together, ending slavery.  Overtly.
Not attitudinally.  We continued to think that
people who looked different were . . . oh, admit it! . . . inferior.
Dangerous.  Not the kind one would like to marry,
or be related to.  Worse, even, than finding a Neanderthal relative.

We like to pretend that all that shit is behind us.
We have left simple-minded White superiority behind us, and
replaced it with more sophisticated White superiority.
You don't have to own slaves to believe you are a superior form
of human being:  a noble, White, Christian, cocktail drinker.

I strongly suspect that our DNA tests will document
that every single human being on earth descended
from ancestral human origins in Africa; that our African ancestors
walked and waded and sailed to places all over the earth.
I have no doubt that some of my relatives, far back--and a few
still walking around--have evidence for a blooming bush
of barely human ancestors.  After all, we are all related;
all from Africa originally, all tempted to think that
our own particular reflections in the mirror show the image of god.

I don't know whether Neanderthals had yet invented gods.
They did put flowers into some of their graves,
and I have no doubt that the power of a raging river
and the fright of a thunderbolt sky scared them.
I am quite sure they invented ghosties and ghoulies
and three-legged beasties and things that go bump in the night,
and that when they did get around to inventing gods
that the gods just happened to look pretty much like them.

Our fear of people who look different is understandable.
Not even genetic test results will erase our unease
that the humans who did not look like us, dress and eat
and speak and walk like us, were quite likely to be dangerous,
even if, strictly speaking, they were our cousins.

So our heads get all screwed up.  We invent stories--"reasons"
we prefer to call them--for the superiority of our own kind of human beings.
Instead of just affirming what we know to be true--that we are prejudiced--
we become creative in finding ways to think of ourselves
as the flowers of god's creation, even when we know that we weren't created:
we came a long, winding way, to gradually become what we variably are.

I am hoping for a nugget or two of evidence,
in my own spit and blood and bones,
to show me the way we have come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w