Skip to main content

Our Shadowed Belle

It should not surprise you that I have a parka:  I live in Minnesota.

It has nothing to do with the weather.  It is Our Belle, Michele.
She--Michele Bachmann--is the Wicked Witch of the Upper Midwest;
the one with all that eyeshadow whom God Annointed
to give the Tea Party response to Obama's State of the Union Address.

Ouch!  Ouch!  Ouch!

That might not have been eyeshadow.
Those might be tea bags, or black eyes.
She may have gotten those black eyes
Fighting Tirelessly with our Founding Fathers
whom she said Fought Tirelessly to end slavery.

You know, the slaves who did not count as free men,
who grudgingly, later, were counted as 3/5ths
of a real human being for purposes of allocating how many
Genuine White Men States like Virginia, for instance, could elect,
and could receive tax compensation for.

Those tirelessly freed slaves!

Well, maybe the Fathers did not fight tirelessly to free slaves,
but they fought harder than they did to allow women to vote.
Women were allowed to vote for a few years in New Jersey,
providing they owned property, but then it slipped away, again,
until about 1920.  My mother was ten.

But about that parka!
I keep the hood pulled up to hide the fact
that I live in Minnesota, too.
Where Our Belle is from.

The parka is an inadequate disguise.
"Say," people say, "aren't you from Minnesota?"
"How many children has Minnesota left behind, actually?"

Our Belle has a little problem with homosexuals, too.
Michele says God doesn't like homosexuals very much, either.
Or maybe she meant that God loves the homosexual
but hates the sinner; something like that.  Or, as she says it:
"Please . . . read my recent column on the threat that
legalized gay marriage poses to our civil and religious liberties
and, to tax exempt organizations in particular."       (In an email to supporters)

At least she didn't blame homosexuals for forcing God
to kill all those blackbirds that are falling out of the sky!
That wasn't Michele.  That was Cindy Jacobs.

Michele didn't mention it again, in her Response to the Response
to the State of the Union, but she did say, earlier:
"I don't know where they're going to get all this money
because we're running out of rich people in this country."

That doesn't worry me.
What worries me is wondering what to wear
when the weather gets warmer.
I don't mean when the globe warms. That's an unamerican idea!
I mean when summer comes.

Maybe eye shadow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w