Skip to main content

Talking, Writing, and Thinking Critically

THOUGHT 1:  In a previous incarnation (when I was a clergyman), one of my duties was to speak to the congregation:  a sermon.  I had to think about the relationship of the spoken to the written word.  I did not wing my sermons:  I prepared them carefully.  Somewhere, I have a boxful of sermon manuscripts.

We speak casually, incompletely, slangily.  I have, a couple of times, transcribed precisely what someone said into manuscript form.  It is almost hilarious:  a sloppy porridge of uhs, ahs, incomplete phrases, unfinished sentences, endless sentences, bad grammar and syntax, you knows, and other state-of-the-art jargon.

On the other hand, sometimes when we write, we torture our readers with silly formal styles, and use words we never say in articulate conversation.

I consciously tried to keep both oral and written habits in mind, not to deny either of them, but to allow me to say what I had written in such a way that maintained the integrity of each.

THOUGHT 2:  Public radio has been examining our educational system.  Students, it is said, are not taught to think critically, and cannot write.  If that is the case, it seems to me, then they cannot speak well, either.  How can one be well-spoken, but not think critically, distinguishing sense from nonsense?

THOUGHT 3:  Writing has an intimate relationship to speaking.  There is a one-to-one relationship between speaking and writing; not that we write exactly as we speak, but that good writing enables one to recreate what a person says.  Writing takes speach and maintains it beyond the immediate time and place where the ideas were first said.  Music evokes feelings, and prompts ideas, but it is not a one-to-one relationship.  Neither are the visual arts.  Words are much more specific.

THOUGHT 4:  A good educational system, like a good conversation, and like a good written article, ought to maintain a close, although not an exact, relationship between speaking and writing.  Inarticulate speech is, at the same time, inarticulate thought, which might just be a way of saying that inarticulate speech is uncritical thought, not having done its logical homework.  Good writing has the function of requiring care for ideas, but care for ideas should also support our spoken language.

A student who can get into college without being able to write, probably cannot speak very well, either, if speaking well also means showing critical thought.  And if writing has to be taught in college, it should be taught to be as clear, immediate, and direct as a good conversation.  It cannot be simply a transcript of how we speak sloppily, not should it be strained, stilted, and stiff-kneed.

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w