Skip to main content

1963. 2011.

Forty-eight years ago today, John Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas.  1963.  He had been urged not to go there.  The country was too divided.  People were saying crazy and dangerous things.

Thirty-eight years ago, I had already decided that I was going to leave the parish I had in California, and go to graduate school in Chicago, to think through what was going on in my head, my life, and our country.  I never went back.

This week, when the campus police at the University of California at Davis sprayed pepper spray into the faces of students quietly protesting about what is happening in their heads, their lives, and their country, I remember.

My life changed forever at the University of Chicago.  I entered as a 32-year-old father of four, wondering what all the things I had been trained to say meant, and I left there, five years later, profoundly altered.  I learned that our own government had been lying to us, that Americans not only were willing to assassinate their own President, but were complicit in anti-democratic wars in Latin America, and that war and guns and clubs were what we thought about.

I was puzzled, at first, when students broke into University offices and poured blood into the file cabinets.  I learned how complicit the universities had been with our military, helping them to control developing nations, and letting them know how to draft their students.

When I left Chicago, in 1969, there was smoke in the air from the fires of protest against what we were doing as a nation.  I smell that smoke, still.  In Davis, the campus police peppered-sprayed students who sat quietly, protesting what we are doing as a nation.  This time, it is not racism, or even so much war, although it is that, too.  It is Wall Street.  It is the awful inequity our own government has crafted, and defended.  It is the innocence of being stupid about what we are doing, and the clarity of our young people.

We have crafted and continue to defend the awful inequity of gross wealth, and of growing poverty.  Our own government has written the laws that have turned the banks and Wall Street brokers into pig sties of wealth.  Our politicians plead that we have to protect the stinking rich because if the rich do not stink, the rest of us will not have jobs.  What jobs?

The distrust of government may have become clear to us in the 1960s.  It has grown huge, since.  But it is not government as government that ought to be distrusted.  It is government that pepper-sprays us and that defends inequity we should scorn.

It is time to reclaim our right to shape our own nation; our own dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w