Skip to main content

What is a person?

I arranged, today, for the John Deere dealer to pick up our little lawn tractor, take off the mower, and put on the snow blower.

"Monday!" he said.

"Great!," I thought, "right after the first snow."  "Fine!", I said.  "Send along some extra shear pins!"

I cannot make the changeover myself, this year.  It is a nasty job.  The parts are heavy, and have to be brutalized into place.  Half of the work is done while lying on the floor.  And I have my own changeover to deal with:  my hip replacement is less than a month old.

The physical consequences of taking out a natural-born hip joint and substituting metal and plastic parts is damnably irritating, but nothing special.  The psychological effects are much more interesting.  My natural-born parts are wearing out.  Whatever it was my unwitting mother gave birth to is starting to grind down.

In the State of Mississippi, voters rejected a proposal to define a fertilized human egg as a person.  It was a stupid proposition, in the first place.  Logically, it would have been something like defining an acorn as an oak tree, or a daisy seed as a wildflower garden.  Legally, it would have been chaotic.  A zygote--a one-celled organism, might seem to be able to claim inheritance rights to the farm.  Politically, it was just a way for fundamentalist, religious zealots to tighten their grip on crotch politics, and completely control what a woman can do with her own body, even when her life might be at stake.

A zygote, a fertilized egg obviously is alive:  it isn't a rock!  And it obviously is something human:  it isn't a Canada goose.  But it isn't a person, either.

It takes a long time to become a genuine person.  It is a process.  Half of the information that it takes to develop a person is in the male-produced sperm, and half is in the mother's egg.  That single-cell divides, and divides again, producing a pocket of undifferentiated cells; copies of the zygote.  Sometimes those pockets of cells divide, and identical twins are born.  Sometimes they re-combine to a single mass.  That isn't a person dividing, and recombining.  It is undifferentiated cells.

It does not always go well.  About half of the time, the body rejects what is happening.  That isn't the birth and death of persons:  it is just a recognition of something that has gone wrong.  Attached to the uterine wall, we call it an embryo, and sometimes the body rejects it there, too; perhaps about one time in six, or so.  It takes luck, on the way to becoming a person.

After a couple of months, or a little more, suggestions of human body parts become evident, and we call it a fetus.  Finally, after about nine months, if God is willing' and the crick don't rise", a baby is born.  Even the baby is unfinished.  The brain, especially, has a lot of work to do before it begins to work like a person.  Most of us cannot remember anything, or much of anything, before about the age of four years.  There is a good reason:  the brain is working hard to shape itself into what makes us persons.

That is to say,  there is no simple, single point at which we become human persons.  It is a process.  It is impossible to point to any moment, and say, "There!  Now we have a person!"

I am confortable, finally, in saying that I am a person, although I would be reluctant to let Mississippi voters put it on the ballot.  To be honest, I am missing a couple of parts--my duodenum, for instance.  It had something to do with a stomach ulcer operation.  And now I do have a couple of titanium parts, and a little plastic, I guess.  But I am still a person!  I am!

I suppose that someday I might have to replace a few more parts with plastic, or maybe with micro-processors.  I already have a plastic eye lens!  I forgot that.  No matter!  Knees, someday?  Who knows?  I sawed off a couple of fingers, but the doctor put them back.  They are as good as new, but stiff, like clothes pins.

This is what I have been worrying about:  how many parts do they have to replace before I am not a person, anymore, but a thing;  a thing that can walk and tell stories and recite my own poetry, and remember what I used to think before I got a quad-core processor to replace my brain?

At what point, because of which particular replacement part, because of the loss of which particular specific original part will I no longer be a person?


"No!", they will say.  "He is made of 51% non-human parts, and even some of his human parts have been borrowed from some other person."

So I am campaigning for a federal law written by people who do not drink tea, to identify precisely at what point, or because of which specific replacement part, I will no longer be a person.  


How much silicone is too much silicon?


We need clear, simple answers to these wrong-headed questions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w