Skip to main content

LIFE IS AN ANCIENT THING

        (Thinking of Tim Rundquist)


How odd
Now that I am inescapably
       Into my eighties
That I should remember how
Three-score and ten years ago

Stopping with other kids
       After school
To jump into South Creek
Where it passed under the road
To swim
       Or perhaps only to talk

Full of large ideas

How we stirred
Biblical fragments together
With arithmetic, calculating
When it would be that we
       Should it be
Reached three-score and ten
Or if by reason of strength
Four score

It would be 2001
A time impossibly far
From what none of us yet
Called The Great War

Since December 7, 1941
Arriving home from Sunday School
Up the hill from the same creek
I had thought, hearing of Pearl Harbor
That I should die in a war
As young men do

       Instead
Now that I am inescapably
Into my eighties
I wonder why I should have to see
Young men die

And like those boys
At the bridge in Summer
      Full of large ideas
I have come to believe 
That I have been looking too long
In the wrong place for life
       And death

Life is an ancient thing 

Life is one of the things
That earth is, and does
       Here and there

With windows

And it is the windows
That are three-score and ten
       Now and then
Before they grow dark again

I do not know when life began
Impossibly long ago, I think
And perhaps even farther away

It is an ancient thing
That we are a part of
For as long as we are

I am Gus and Jennie
Come together
Fragments of what they were
A new window on the world
       Of life

And you are such as I
Part of an ancient thing

We are star-stuff
Ordinary stuff of the universe
Crammed into a star
And blown out in new form

And collected again
into earth, and probably earths
       Everywhere

Where we have come to life
       And conscious life
Able to know what we are
And how lovely it is to be alive
       Even knowing

That our own part of being alive
Will not last much more than
Three-score and ten
Or perhaps by reason of good luck
Four score

And then the light in our window
Will go out, though
The whole house will surely shine
Because, as we know
It is a very good thing to be alive

And life is an ancient thing
       This thing we love
That is tenacious 
And terrible in its desire
To find a way to go on

It is an ancient thing
We are a part of

       Star-stuff

When we moved to Minneapolis
I began to walk around Lake Nokomis
       Almost three miles
       Almost three years
And calculated
As I had done at South Creek
       Higher math
       In the service of
       Lake-level ideas
That I had walked
Three thousand miles

And finding a carp
Up on the walk
       One day
Began to wonder
How it had gotten to the Lake
       At all

Twelve hundred miles to the Gulf

But at three miles a day
I had walked coast-to-coast
In a thousand days
       So to speak

I gave the carp a million years
To go six million feet
       Six feet a year
       Up the River or the Sea
In generations such as our own

At three miles an hour
Three miles a day
I began to remember songs
       Old songs

Humming what once I knew
Looking them up 
Until I knew them again

An old man remembering
How it had been
       How it is
How long is life
How short a generation

Singing life up from the Gulf
Across America
Around the Lake

It is a kind of song we sing
Alone and together
       A love song
       A soaring aria
       Something silly
       A lullaby

Sometimes sad
But not mostly


The hills are alive
With a sound like music
A song we have sung
For a million years


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w