Skip to main content

Recent Things and Some People

I am resting from my labors.

No, no!  Not in the We-are-in-church-trying-to-pretend-that-Conrad-was-a-warm-fuzzy-fellow kind of way!  I just came in from the cold. . . .  No, that was a book.  I was out in the heat, clearing away things so that people who do real work can work;  specifically, removing vegetable garden irrigation things so as not to trip up the guys wheeling the tree-in-pieces to the street.

A couple of nights ago, it rained in our little part of Tucson, and sometimes when it rains, the wind blows in a peculiarly exuberant fashion.  It blew exuberantly, and persuaded a rather large mesquite tree to yield way, landing on the sawhorses I had been using to build a place for flower pots, and on the fence along the south side of the house.  Fortunately, it did not rain on our house, so to speak.  We cannot see the fence, but it does not take a genius. . . .

From up on the hill, one can see that the tree is almost as tall lying down as it was standing up.  There are such people. . . .

I am not removing it.  I am removing what has to be moved to allow the people who still have not learned to respect their chain saws (and age, and backs) to take away in short pieces what god hath wrought with a shallow root system.  Shrub garden water was too conveniently accessible.

I do not want to be the hero who has to worry the root system into manageable pieces.  I want to be the guy who sleeps behind that window in the morning when the sun comes directly in the bedroom.
The brown thing, to the right, is one of the shade screens I had put up between the house and a couple of trees to keep the water in Jao's wading pool from steaming off into wherever El Niño goes.

 Coyote came calling this morning.  Coyote [co-yo-tay], as you know, is the creator of the earth [We live in the Desert Southwest, now, and religion here is not the same as it was in Salem, Massachusetts, and as it might be in Indiana or on TV.]

Coyote saw something the birds had scorned, but the hanging bird feeder and the shadow it cast made him mighty suspicious, but he worked his way around beneath the palo verde branches until he could snatch whatever it was and retire to shade to gnaw it.

I cheer for Coyote when he comes, and for the family of javelinas that have well-established trails all around the neighborhood, but I leave them to their own decisions.  Coyote hides from people, for good reason, but one never knows what a herd of javelinas will do.  Either critter is better than stumbling around on the hillside and spying a snake.




"Snikes", as Steve Irvin, the Crocodile Hunter,  might have said but probably didn't, need better alarm systems.  That is why I am anxious to see the condition of the fence beneath the fallen tree.  The fence was relatively snake proof, and kids and snakes are slow learners.

Hummingbird lost a couple of nectar feeders when the tree went down, but I think I can see at least one of them down under there where I am not about to crawl.  The feeder outside our kitchen window is back in action, and the one out by the entry on the other side of the house has been rehung.   Hummingbird was hatched nearby, or returns often enough to know that the people on the other side of the window are a necessary nuisance.  Unlike coyote.

I have finally accepted, only because Some People continue to remind me, that I am the Chief Cook and Freezer-Plugger-Upper.

I made a French Ham and Bean soup yesterday, and froze the leftovers.  Today, when I proposed to shop for the ingredients for a French Chicken Noodle soup, Some People reminded me that my pacing is faulty and that the freezer is plugging up.

Some People are merciless!

Today I shall eat what I ate yesterday.





Comments

  1. I am glad you cheer for Coyote, creator of the earth. (And wish I had some French Ham and Bean soup in my freezer.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w