Skip to main content

You May Count on That!

"The safest place to hold the Dungeness crab is its back. Although the hind part of the crab is commonly used to pick up the crab, their claws can sometimes reach the holder's hand."

Wikipedia is absolutely right about that.  One mean little vixen, whom had been lured to latch onto a piece of chicken leg until it reached the surface--it having no business, except hunger, for doing so; it not otherwise supposed to be caught with a pole--resented my trickery and nipped my finger.  Dungeness crabs--perhaps crabs in general--are very quick to take exception, and even quicker to strike out. 

My brother, Stan, has a C-Dory, and ever since he first proposed it, I had been looking forward to going with him into Puget Sound, north of Everett, to set crab pots.  Unfortunately, the daily limit for crabbing is five crabs, and since I did not have a license, we could not legally catch more than ten crabs in the two days we went out.  I can assure you that the first five crabs we caught, each day, were legal in every way.  I can also assure you that Dungeness crabs are so delicious that, had we caught two or three times that number, they could not have tasted better. 


Stan is a commercial fisherman, so the thought of not having commercially-sturdy, even if sport-sized, crab pots explains why his crab pots weigh a hundred pounds each, empty, hanging over the side of the slippery boat, with no room to spare.  Stan assured me, after each haul, that the weight of the pots had absulutely nothing to do with his generous offer to take me along; and that those two-inch thick, two-foot long iron bars in the bottom of the pots were necessary to keep the pots right-side-up.  The boat does have a small winch to haul up the pots, but its usefulness ends, more-or-less, at the water line. 

After the first pot or two, Stan said almost nothing about my age, nor the fact that he remembered me as being much stronger and much more agile when I was younger, or that Becky, his wife, who is allergic to crabs, was very good when he could entice her to come along.  He just let all of that go unmentioned, after a while. 

As we all say, the proof of the Dungeness is in the eating, and something like Jesus turning a few legal crabs into about two dozen loaves and fishes (so to speak), we had fresh crab for two days; enough, Biblically said, for a congregation of about five thousand, with three crabs left over, when friends and relatives had eaten their fill and taken some home. 

(You may note that my arithmetic is precarious, but it is all in the interests of assuring you that we did, indeed, catch five legal crabs each day.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w