Skip to main content

Public Option and Court Intrigue

I don't want to get too cheery about a Public Option
in health care because every obscenely wealthy insurance
company in the whole country knows that a commonly-
available Public Option--that is to say, a government-
enabled, non-profit plan--is the only way to squeeze
their profits.  We can be quite sure, even if we do get
a Public Option, that the for-profit insurance companies
will maneuver to unload the tough cases onto the public.
Even so, the pressure of competition will be there.

What is just as intriguing is the maneuvering in Congress.

Long ago and far away, almost at the periphery of what
I remember, I read novels about medieval court intrigue.
The novels were based on real, historical events.  They
scared me half to death!  Nothing was as it seemed.
Lady Flutterby put poison in her lover's wine.  Bishop
Goodface hired mute monks to assassinate Princes,
and King Lollipop skewered his wives in bed.

I think Washington, D.C., is something like that, on a more
political level.  Do you really believe that Harry Reid
just decided this last week that he supported a Public Option,
or was he lining up votes?  Was all that talk about a Co-op
just a way to flirt with a couple of GOP Senators?
Now that she has been left to her own anti-government
opinions, does Olympia Snowe feel a little silly about
thinking she was going to hold up the other 60% of the
Senate, and get things done her way?  How much was
Barack Obama's seeming reticence to say what he wanted
a carefully orchestrated way of making the Democrats
have to get their act together, because if they could not blame
Obama, they would have to take the blame themselves?

Are the Administration's snide remarks about Snide Rush
Limbaugh really about the fairness of news, or are they a way
of back-handedly encouraging right-wing neanderthals to
rally to Limbaugh, Beck, Palin, and Conan the Barbarian,
in order to move the Republican Party to a hopeless fringe?

All of this Court intrigue is making me nervous. 
I am afraid that if I really begin to think this way,
I will start to understand Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck,
and next I will be hearing voices and seeing Communists,
and that might be a fate worse than death. 
Then I would really need a Public Option!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends-- My step-father of 35 years died this morning. His name was Conrad Royksund. He was 86 years old. He was born into poverty on a farm near Puyallup, WA. He was the first member of his family to attend college and earned a PhD from the University of Chicago. He paid his way through all of that by fishing in Alaska. He spent his professional career as a college professor. I met him when I was just 3 years old and don't actually have any memories of my life befor e he was in it. He was intimidatingly smart, funny as hell, and worked his ass off. He taught me to meet people with kindness and decency until I was certain they could not be trusted. He taught me to meet ideas with carving knives until I was certain they could. I will remember him as one of the bravest, most curious, and funniest people I have ever met. He left this world with a satisfied mind. We are so grateful. Dan Hubbard

Caliche Busters and Government Work

When I was young and both stronger and smarter than I am now, I put my might and brain to work doing nothing useful, unless it might be thought that hand/foot/eye coordination might come in handy.  Those were skills to be learned and practiced.   I found an iron bar our grandfather had shaped in his blacksmith shop.  He took old car, truck, or wagon axles, and made tools from them for digging post holes.  He sharpened one end to a tip, and the other to a blade.  Washington State, like many places, had a hard layer of soil, probably created by water and limestone, or some such materials, that made digging holes a miserable chore.  The bar chipped through the natural concrete so that a shovel could take it up.   I found Grandpa's iron bar, and since I was young and dumb and strong--or so I thought--decided to punch a hole down to hardpan and ultimate truth.  I knew how to do that.  Raise the bar vertically with both hands, and then slam in straight down.  On the second try, aimi

The Sea is Rising

Let us just step back:  two hundred and fifty years ago, or so, the ships of England and Spain had drifted onto a whole new continent, as they saw it, from far north to a savagely cold south; pole to pole, as if there were such things. Millions of people already lived here, some of them still hunters and gatherers; some of them very wealthy, indeed!  Gold and silver stolen from the southern Americas funded Spanish and English dreams. There was land, lots of land, under starry skies above, rich land, and oil and coal and iron ore.  The whole western world learned how to build industries not on simple muscle power, but on steam and oil.  We farmed, too, of course.  All we needed was cheap labor--slave labor from Africa, mostly, so the ships came with slave labor.  Chinese labor built railroad beds where there had been rock cliffs. Europeans, long used to killing each other for good, religious reasons, brought their religious savagery with them.  Even when all they wanted to do w